Secure Working in Insecure Environments Thanks to Unique Hardware Protection
Do you think your computer hardware is secure? Can you rule out that in your absence no one has manipulated your computer? In a world, where most users do not have any real control over their hardware and have to blindly trust the security promises of vendors, NitroPad unlocks a refreshingly new security experience. NitroPad X230 is significantly more secure than normal computers. With NitroPad, you'll have more control over your hardware than ever before while maintaining ease of use.
Tamper Detection Through Measured Boot
Thanks to the combination of the open source solutions Coreboot, Heads and Nitrokey USB hardware, you can verify that your laptop hardware has not been tampered with in transit or in your absence (so-called evil maid attack). The integrity of the TPM, the firmware and the operating system is effectively checked by a separate Nitrokey USB key. Simply connect your Nitrokey to the NitroPad while booting and a green LED on the Nitrokey will show that your NitroPad has not been tampered with. If the LED should turn red one day, it indicates a manipulation.
Deactivated Intel Management Engine
Vulnerable and proprietary low-level hardware parts are disabled to make the hardware more robust against advanced attacks.
The Intel Management Engine (ME) is some kind of separate computer within all modern Intel processors (CPU). The ME acts as a master controller for your CPU and has broad access to your computer (system memory, screen, keyboard, network). Intel controls the code of the ME and severe vulnerabilities have been found in the ME enabling local and remote attacks. Therefore ME can be considered as a backdoor and has been deactivated in NitroPad.
Preinstalled Ubuntu Linux With Full-Disk Encryption
NitroPad ships with a preinstalled Ubuntu Linux 22.04 LTS with full-disk encryption. Ubuntu is one of the most popular, stable and easiest to use Linux distributions. Switching from Windows to Linux has never been easier.
- Keys Under Your Control
All individual cryptographic keys are generated directly on the NitroPad exclusively during installation and are not stored by us. However, all individual keys can be replaced by you. Unlike "Secure Boot", the keys for securing the operating system remain under your control and do not depend on the consent of the vendor.
- Nitrokey USB Key Included
NitroPad comes with a Nitrokey Pro 2 or a Nitrokey Storage 2. Their security features include for example email encryption (PGP, S/MIME), secure server administration (SSH) and two-factor authentication through one-time passwords (OTP). The Nitrokey Storage 2 additionally contains an encrypted mass storage with hidden volumes.
- Professional ThinkPad Hardware
Based on Lenovo ThinkPad X230, the hardware finish and robustness meet professional quality standards. The famous ThinkPad keyboard with background lighting (optional) and TrackPoint allows comfortable working. The used laptops have been refurbished.
- Out-of-the-Box User Experience
With NitroPad, you don't need to take care of opening the hardware casing to flash the BIOS chip, installing and configuring Linux, or pairing the Nitrokey Pro/Storage. We do this work for you. The Nitrokey is already configured with your NitroPad so that it can be used for tamper detection without any further configuration effort.
- Security Conscious Shipping
To make it more difficult to intercept and manipulate your NitroPad, the NitroPad and the Nitrokey USB key can be shipped in two separate shipments if desired.
NitroPad enables you to detect hardware tampering. For example, if your laptop is being inspected while crossing the border or if you leave your device unattended in a hotel or during travelling, you can check the integrity of your NitroPad with the help of the Nitrokey.
NitroPad can serve as a hardened workstation for certificate authorities and other use cases requiring high-security computers. On business trips, the NitroPad protects against evil maid attacks while the computer is unattended in a hotel or baggage.
Governments can use NitroPad to protect themselves against advanced persistent threats (APT) without relying on foreign proprietary technology.
- For Journalists
If you as an investigative journalist are serious about protecting your confidential sources, NitroPad helps you getting there.
- Form factor: Subnotebook
- Manufacturer: Lenovo
- Model: ThinkPad X230
- Processor (CPU): Intel Core i5 3230M 2x 2.60 GHz (Turbo: 3.20 GHz) (both 3rd generation)
- Intel Management Engine: Deactivated
- System memory (RAM): 4-16 GB DDR3
- Hard drive: 250-500 GB HDD, 120-2000 GB SSD
- Chipset: Mobile Intel QM77 Express
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Screen: 12.5" 1366x768 HD, LED backlight (optional), matt TFT or IPS
- Sound: Dolby Advanced Audio 2.0
- Network (LAN): Gigabit Ethernet
- WiFi: Intel 802.11b/g/n 2200N
- Bluetooth: Included
- Webcam: HD (720p) with face tracking
- Card reader: 4-in-1 card reader (MMC, SD, SDHC, SDXC)
- Interfaces: 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0 always-on, Mini Displayport, VGA, combined audio-in/out, LAN (Gigabit Ethernet) RJ45, docking port, Kensington slot
- Extension ports: Express Card (54 mm)
- Battery: at least 70% of the original capacity
- Keyboard: Keyboard backlight (optional), German or English as sticker
- Miscellaneous: Multifunctional touchpad + TrackPoint
- BIOS/UEFI: Coreboot, Heads
- Operating system: Ubuntu Linux 22.04 LTS or LinuxMint
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: 305 mm x 206.5 mm x 19.0-26.6 mm
- Weight: ca. 1.34 kg
- Device condition: Refurbished, scratches, pressure marks on the screen, minor cracks in the casing and/or other minor flaws (optical shortcomings). Technically flawless.
- Scope of supply: Laptop, power supply, power cable, Nitrokey Pro 2 or Nitrokey Storage 2
- 1 year warranty
- Illustrations similar